Thursday, March 15, 2012

What Would you do for a Klondike Bar?




There is nothing Jacob dislikes more than running errands. I've learned to do them during the day while he is at school because I don't exactly like having him along for the ride either. It's hard to concentrate on my list when I have a six year old asking me every minute if we are done yet or better yet running around not listening. But today I was desperate. I had a few things on my list that were a must. Pay some bills, return the almost overdue library books, and a couple of necessities at Walmart. So yes, I bribed him. I told him if he came along and behaved, he could pick out a treat at Walmart. Surprisingly that was all it took and he said yes with no hesitation.

So off we went, list in hand. We weren't even to the end of the street when Jacob presented his "good idea". How about going to the DQ afterwards for a treat instead of getting something at Walmart. "Maybe. You are right, that is a very good idea," I said. We made it through the library and post office with little fanfare. Jacob was on his best behavior and in one of his moods where he asks countless questions. I was up for it, so we talked and talked. All was good, until we got to Walmart.

At Walmart, It didn't take long for him to start thinking of the promised treat. He spied a big bin of theater sized candy and zeroed in on the Mike & Ikes. Yummy, yes, but with us eliminating Red Dye from Jacob's diet, it would leave him with only a handful of candy. He opted to put them in the cart anyway just in case he didn't find anything better.

As we made our way through the store, Jacob spotted the bakery off in the distance. "Donuts!" he yelled, "I want donuts!" "Ok, but then the Mike & Ikes have to go back." Hmm...Jacob wasn't so sure about that. And then I had a brilliant idea, or at least it seemed like it at the time. Since Jacob had originally wanted to go to the DQ, I suggested picking out a box of ice cream treats at the store. In my mind, less expensive and more convenient since we were right there. He was up for it and we headed to the freezer section, with the donuts already long forgotten.

We never really buy boxed ice cream treats and apparently Jacob has never even looked at them. Instantly he was overwhelmed by all the choices. He read all the boxes to me savoring over each one. That's when I knew I had made a big mistake. It was too much for him to take in. There was no way he could pick when they all were equally appealing.  Knowing his love for brownies and oreos, I tried directing him towards one of those choices, thinking it would be easier for him if I helped narrow it down to three. But he wanted all three. And then the tears started flowing. Not in a "I want it and am a brat way". He seriously couldn't decide. It wasn't a loud tantrum cry. He wasn't having a meltdown or fit. It was more of a silent cry, with big fat alligator tears running down his sweet face with every so often him quietly saying, "Mommy, I just don't know. I just don't know what to do." shaking his head as he stared at the ice cream case conflicted.  I couldn't help it. I started to laugh. Right there in the freezer aisle as my son cried, I was rolling with laughter. Oh, I bet we were a sight to see.



We stood there in the freezer aisle for a good twenty minutes. We discussed the pros and cons of each choice, did the math on which box would provide more additional treats for a later date, but still Jacob could not decide and tears continued to flow. "It's such a hard decision," he said as I hugged him right there in the freezer department. And it truly was for him. He was so worried about making the wrong choice having never been given such freedom before.

I knew that the situation was fragile. Jacob was already overwhelmed and choosing for him would just make him upset. Just leaving was not an option, because that would turn into a huge unwanted meltdown resulting in a return trip to Walmart. And so instead, I patiently helped him work through it.

At times we were joined by others, some giving me knowing looks that they had been there before. While others gave me looks of "You are seriously going to buy that child ice cream?" And yes, I was. He deserved it. He was incredible on the errands. He did everything right. Stayed right by his mom. No running, jumping, dancing, none of the usual stuff that he does at the store.

And so after a lengthy discussion, he opted for the Oreo Klondike bars. Six in a pack leaving two extras if everyone in the family had just one. So what would I do for a Klondike bar? I would patiently stand in the freezer department at Walmart for close to half an hour helping my conflicted son pick an ice cream treat.

But next time, I'm driving through the DQ ordering his regular mini brownie blizzard. Easier on both of us.

5 comments:

  1. Were they all melted by the time you got to the cashier? :-D That would have been me....laughing. Sometimes, you just have to laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol...they were definitely starting to melt by the time we got home. My son tried to eat one and stuck his finger right through. So we put them in the freezer and he set a timer for 30 minutes because when he asked how long until they were frozen, I said probably a half hour. :)

      Yes, sometimes you do have to laugh. I'm sure people were wondering why is this crazy woman laughing and hugging her child while he is crying his eyes out. He did like the ice cream though!

      Delete
  2. I love reading your blog. I have a 6-year-old son with high function autism and your stories validate the crazy and sometimes unbelievable events in our life. Thank you for sharing and kudos to you for having it together and being the mom your son needs you to be.

    ReplyDelete