Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The ol' Curveball


Just when I think I have my son figured out he throws me a curveball.

This morning he announced, "This is going to be the best day ever!" I was thrilled for his enthusiasm, but skeptical since I knew what the day entailed. Jacob has a field trip this morning. In fact, as I am writing this I am guessing he and my husband are bouncing up and down on the packed bus full of first graders. Then this afternoon he has an eye appointment where they will be dilating his eyes, which he has been dreading for months.

If you remember, Jacob had a field trip last month and we opted for him to stay home. He was stressed about the bus ride being loud, and from past experiences I knew how stressful it can be for him. Plus the field trip was to a puppet show that featured a witch. Not good for Jacob. But this time was to a children's art studio. Jacob loves drawing, and he had been there before, so I knew once there he would enjoy himself. But there is always the bus ride that brings about anxiety. I didn't say much leading up to this morning. I had kept it low key hoping to downplay the experience. Naturally, I was shocked when he made his proclamation of it being the best day ever! Had he forgotten what the day entailed?

He went on to tell me how trying new things was a good idea. *gasp* Did my son really just say that? I've been preaching that for years, and it hasn't made an impact. Then he wanted to know why he hadn't went on the last field trip. Hmmm....really? How soon you forget my lovely son the tears and your steadfast resistance against the field trip. I believe I was all for it! "Where was this coming from?" I thought.

"Amy said that the field trip was a lot of fun and she wished I was there." Ahh....Amy. That explains a lot. Amy is his best friend at the moment and Jacob's social world revolves around her. He becomes slightly obsessed with his friends and for the last few months it has been all about Amy. I am thinking of having Amy over to explain some other concepts I have been trying to get through to Jacob.

I left my son at school this morning the happiest I have seen him in months. Usually school drop off is met with opposition and is a struggle for both of us. This morning he was beaming. I had been dreading drop off ever since I heard about the field trip and it went nothing as envisioned. I think Jacob just likes to keep his mama on her toes.

The day is just beginning, but I am hoping for Jacob that it is indeed the best day ever. But knowing that the day has many deviations from his normal routine, my guard won't be down until my head hits my pillow. If I know Jacob and his love for baseball, I'm sure there is another curveball coming. But I'll be ready, and I'll hit it out of the park!



No comments:

Post a Comment