Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Slide at Your Own Risk!




This past weekend was our big zoo-get-away vacation. I probably have enough material just from those two days to write posts for the next month. It was a great weekend, with many highs and as to be expected a few lows.

The hotel we were staying at was nothing fancy. We had looked at nicer hotels in the area, but Tripadvisor pointed us to this one. The selling point, a pool designated for kids with two water slides and no part deeper than three feet. Perfect for my two swimmers.

Both of the kids couldn't wait to get their feet wet, and Saturday morning we headed down to the pool. Again, it wasn't fancy. Clean and just as promised, kid friendly. The baby slide was in the shape of a frog and came out in the one foot area. The "big" slide was just a little taller than I am, with a long slow slope coming out into the three foot area.



When the baby girl saw them, she couldn't wait. " 'Wims, 'wims," she cried. She wanted to "swims". Jacob eagerly jumped in the water as well. He loves the water and splashing around. But I wasn't surprised when he went down the little frog slide instead of the other slide.

"Jacob, go check out the other slide," I told him trying to appear nonchalant to diminish any anticipated anxiety. "It's not over your head."

But it was a no go. My son is not a risk taker. Never has been and probably never will be. In situations like this I always enjoy observing him to see how he will respond.

I could tell by his glances toward the big slide that his interest was peaked and he wanted to go down. Normally he loves slides, and has definitely been on bigger than this one. But he was hesitant. I watched as he assessed this situation. First he walked the steps to the top of the slide. There he would stand until someone caught his eye, and then he would descend the stairs again. He'd go back in the pool for a few minutes, and then again would climb the stairs to the slide top again.

But the baby girl wanted to go down the big slide. She marched over to the stairs and started stepping up with no looking back to see if anyone was following. There is no fear in that one. Time and time again she went down on my husband's lap each time squealing with delight. She loved it! I thought watching his sister would help give Jacob the courage he needed. But still, no slide.

Next, I saw him checking it out from the bottom of the slide. He would stand at the bottom in the pool, then bend down, and stand up again measuring how high the water was on his body. Again, I thought this would seal the deal, but instead he got out of the pool and went down the baby frog slide again.

Over and over he would go down the baby frog slide. I'm guessing by the looks on some of the other parent's faces, they were wondering why this child larger than the slide itself was choosing that one over the much bigger and more fun slide. It didn't phase Jacob. He continued going down the small slide waiting his turn amongst the other toddlers less than half his size.

Still every once in a while he would walk over to the big slide and ascend the stairs. I'm guessing in his mind it was a battle. He knew from watching the other kids that were much younger than him, that the slide was fun and not scary, yet it was a mountain to him, and one he hadn't the courage to climb.

And so back and forth he would go. Every so often he would even get brave enough to actually sit on the slide. Once I even saw him rocking back and forth as he held on to the bars on the side. Oh, how I wished he had accidentally let go, as I knew he would have had a blast. But his momentum was cut short when another dad took his place in line behind Jacob. Instead of going down, Jacob politely got off and let the man have his turn.

My husband and I both tried reasoning with him on the slide. We both knew by his peaked interest that he wanted to go, but just couldn't let himself have that moment of losing control and letting go. But our efforts did little to change his mind.

The next morning, Jacob and his dad went down to the pool area while the baby girl and I caught up on some much needed sleep. They were down there for almost two hours swimming in a pool all to themselves. I figured over the course of those hours, Jacob would build the courage to go down the slide and wouldn't want to leave. When they returned to our room, I asked Jacob if he went down the big slide and he said "yes".

"You did!" I was excited for him.

"Well..., not really," my husband said.

Apparently Jacob climbed half way up from the bottom of the slide and then had my husband pull him down. Hmm...not the mountain climbing image I had in my mind, but I guess a step in the right direction. It's a struggle for my husband who is much more adventurous than me. Jacob takes after me as I am definitely more cautious. The baby girl, now that's another story.

"Well, honey," I said, "Just be happy you have one child with no fear." as the baby girl danced around saying " 'Wims, 'wims! Yea!"


No comments:

Post a Comment