Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentines Smalentines!



I dislike school parties.

The funny thing is, before my kids were in the school system, I had visions of me being the perfect room mom. It was totally my thing. I love to bake, crafts, games, all of it. As a kid, I had loved school parties filled with cupcakes with too much frosting and games of "Heads Up 7 Up".

But not anymore. I detest them.

Yesterday was Jacob's Valentine's Party at school. Of course, the first thing he asked when he knew about the party date was if I would be there. And of course, I said "yes" not wanting to disappoint my son or have him be one of the few kids without a parent there.

The party itself was fine, your typical school party with cookies, treats, and bags decorated with hearts and filled with Valentines. There was a craft that Jacob struggled with and didn't want to do, but finally he did glue two googly eyes on a heart and made a smile, a half hearted attempt at a Valentine for the baby sister. And there was a game, that again proved to be a challenge for Jacob where he was to suck through a straw and pick up conversation hearts. But as I looked around, I realized that Jacob was not the only one struggling with this, and it brought some relief.

But the real reason I dislike school parties is, it is quite apparent that Jacob is on the outskirts.

In October when I helped with the Halloween party, Jacob's teacher had announced that the everyone could shift their chairs around to sit near a friend for the party. As I watched Jacob trying to figure out where to go, my heart hurt. No one was calling out, "Jacob, Jacob, come sit by me!" He ended up scooting his chair closer to a group of girls in the back who thankfully seemed ok with it.

It's always been like this every year. Thankfully this year his classmates are much more tolerant and accepting of Jacob. In past years, I witnessed kids being just plain cruel to him at parties. Many times, they wouldn't hesitate to tell me that Jacob annoys them, or they would ask questions, "Why does he make that noise?" or "Why does he always talk about baseball?" The worst was when a boy in his class walked up and yelled as loud as possible in Jacob's ear, knowing how Jacob did not like loud noises.

So yes, it could be worse. Jacob's new school has been a good fit for him. And his classmates are good kids. But as a mom, that doesn't make it easier seeing the rest of the class connected, and your own child alone.

Oh, I try to connect with the other moms hoping that will help. But it seems like they are all connected as well. You can tell that they know each other outside of school from playdates, birthday parties, or sports. And as much as I try to connect, it just doesn't happen for whatever reason.

The thing is, Jacob either doesn't care, or doesn't notice, I'm not sure which one. On the way home from school after his party, I asked him who he liked spending time with in his class. He told me "no one really". He then changed his mind and named two girls that were nice. But the thing was, it didn't seem to bother him.

So I know it's my problem. It bothers me. It's hard to see and it just tears at my heartstrings for my son. Why? Because I think that is every humans desire, isn't it? To connect? So if it doesn't bother Jacob, and he doesn't seem lonely, and he seems happy, why can't I let it go?

Because I want that for my son. I want him to have those connections. Those true friendships. And I know the importance of friends.

We try to help Jacob socially.  He doesn't always know how to interact with his peers. He wants to be their friend, but many times his intensity pushes them away. So my husband and I usually take on that role of helping him make that connection with other kids. But it's hard to know when to give that gentle push, and when to realize it is ok.

Yesterday afternoon, when we pulled up to our house, Jacob saw about 8 kids from the neighborhood playing basketball. He quickly exited the car and ran down to join them as fast as his legs could carry him. For the next hour off and on, I checked on him, finding him still enjoying himself playing basketball with the neighborhood boys.

But after about an hour, I looked outside to find Jacob in our front yard with his yellow plastic bat hitting whiffle balls across the street. I could tell he was deep into his own make believe baseball game, imagining he was all of his favorite MLB players.

As I looked down the street, there were all the neighborhood boys still playing their basketball game, while Jacob was doing his own thing.

Jacob finished his nine innings, and came loudly through the door. I asked him why he had stopped playing basketball with his friends.

He answered matter of factly, "Because I wanted to play baseball, Mom."

He had chosen to be on the outskirts. He had played with his buddies, but he was done. He wanted to be by himself doing what he loved most. He was ok with it.

Now I had to learn to be ok with it, too.







No comments:

Post a Comment