Saturday, August 24, 2013

"I was Scared of Other Kids?"



"Why would I be scared of other kids?"

"I don't know why, Jacob. You just were," I answered.

The conversation had started earlier in the week on our short ride to school, and here we were again talking about it with only a few blocks left until we arrived at school.

The baby sister was starting preschool this week, so there had been lots of talk about her new school. Since Jacob hadn't actually been with when we toured the school, he had a lot of questions about it.

"But why is she not going to my preschool? Why is she going to a church preschool?"
"Why does she not have specials at her school?"
And "Why does she only have to go two days and I went every day to preschool? It's not fair!"

I didn't have good answers. Or Jacob wasn't liking my answers. So I gave him the truth, or an abbreviated truth in the few blocks time we had.

I told Jacob how he did in fact go to a church preschool, where he did go for only two days just like his sister would be. Somehow despite my son's remarkable memory he had completely forgotten this and only recalled his public school preschool.

Or course he wanted to know why he changed schools. I wasn't sure how to word it. Telling him his social skills were lacking wouldn't mean anything. The fact that he didn't transition well, would go right over his head. That he didn't play but instead walked around the room humming concerned about the Alphabet letters being out of order, would not appear odd to him at all.

So instead I told him that he didn't talk to or play with other kids.

Which was true. He didn't at the time. He talked to adults. But kids? Not really.

Since then, we have had the same conversation each morning on the way to school, because he just can't fathom it. He wants to know why he didn't talk to other kids. I tell him I don't know why, but how wonderful it was to have such a great preschool teacher to help him and teach him how to be a good friend.

He can't remember that time, and I am thankful for that. Those are some heartbreaking memories for me when I picked him up from his first preschool to find him sitting at the table alone instead of at circle time with his peers. To Jacob it seems so foreign that he wouldn't want to play or talk to other kids, where now it is the complete opposite. He won't leave kids alone. (Oh, there will always be social skills for Jacob to master!)

This morning we dropped the baby sister off for her first day of preschool. When we pulled into the parking lot, she said, "Bye mommy, bye daddy", as if we were just going to drop her off at the curb. My confident independent three year old probably would have walked right in on her own had we let her. Of course we walked her in. She sat right down and started playing play-doh as if she had done this many times before. There were no tears. None. Not one by her, or by me.

On the drive home, I asked my husband if he thought it was odd that I hadn't cried. With Jacob I had bawled my eyes out when he started preschool. When he started Kindergarten, I was a mess as I pried his arms from around my legs. Even this year as I walked him down the hall to third grade, my eyes welled up with tears.

"No," my husband told me. "You know that she is ready."

He's right. She is more than ready. And each year those tears I cry for Jacob are because I know that even if he excels academically, he is behind developmentally, socially, emotionally, and mentally. And those tears are tears of joy, for how far he has come.





No comments:

Post a Comment